Ultimate Trousers – now there’s a pattern with a lot to live up to. What a name.
I was actually one of the testers for this Sew Over It pattern, way back at the beginning of the year. You might have spotted my denim version during Me Made May, if you can remember that far back.
I’ve worn these a lot since making them.
I really like the fit of this pattern, especially with the deep darts at the back, but I did have to make a few changes:
- I cut a size 14
- Added 0.5cm to the rise
- Made the back waist about 1.5cm higher in the centre, tapering out to the beginning of the dart
- Lengthened the legs 4 (yes, 4) inches.
- Added about 1cm to the front crotch seam
Here’s the battered looking pattern for visual reference:
I’m pretty happy with my first denim Ultimate Trousers. They’re really comfortable for non-stretch trousers, and I like the fit.
I think the back view, (not pictured because I couldn’t face putting it online for posterity) could do with some welt pockets to break up the vast expanse.
But that would make them more time-consuming to sew, and as drafted they’re incredibly quick. There are only 4 pattern pieces!
The denim is just cheap stuff from my local fabric shop, Ultimate Craft (DOUBLE ULTIMATE) but it’s holding up well.
For my second pair I was determined to add pockets. The only way I could think of doing this was by adding a waistband as well. So that’s what I did.
This fabric is from Fabric World on Goldhawk Road, and I was bullied into buying it by Clare, Nicole and Sally on the big sewing meet-up earlier this year. It’s an amazing, silky viscose, and I love the print.
Here’s a closer view of the waistband and pockets:
It was a bit shifty and annoying to sew, but I wrangled it into submission in the end. I can’t believe how well I matched the pattern across the front. It was a complete fluke. I didn’t even cut the pieces on a single layer.
It’s not matched at all across the side seams because, well, who can be bothered with that.
Here’s what the waistband and pocket pieces look like. For the pocket, I just drew a slanted line across the side of the trousers, and then traced off a vaguely pocket shaped piece to match it.
To add the waistband, I just drew a line about 1.5 inches from the top of the trousers, and then traced this piece off (you can see the line in the photo). I then took this piece, folded out the dart lines, and extended it at the top. Then I added seam allowances.
This second version are so comfortable to wear. They’re definitely a step up for my lounging wardrobe, which up until now has consisted of a holey old pair of American Apparel yoga pants and some unfortunate promotional t-shirts.
I have worn them out of the house a few times, when it was really hot. They’re very lightweight.
My one reservation is that they look a bit like something you’d wear to go backpacking in Asia. This is particularly noticeable from behind for some reason:
Not saying I have anything against this look, I’m just not sure it works when you’re commuting on a rainy London bus rather than trekking through Thailand.
I know I look like I’m telling someone to piss off in this photo but my hair looks good, so it’s staying in.
Anyway, hopefully I will be going somewhere hot and sunny next year, and then these will come in handy for public use. Until then I can reserve them for autumn nights in watching Don’t Tell The Bride and eating cheese on toast.
I definitely recommend this pattern. It’s an easy one to fit as there are no pockets, so you can quickly whip up a muslin and test the fit. And it’s comfortable without relying on stretch fabric. A good way to dip your toe into trouser-making for beginners.