Hey guys! I’m back! I’m massively sunburnt, have 8 loads of washing to do, and I’ve eaten a lifetime’s supply of pizza and gelato in the last 10 days.
We had a awesome honeymoon, right up until the ridiculously turbulent Easyjet flight through stormy London skies last night. I’m still prising my fingernails out of my palms. Once I’m fully recovered, I’ll be boring you with loads of holiday photos.
I’ve also SO NEARLY got some wedding pics, but I’m just waiting for the final files from the photographer. So in the meantime I thought I’d jump on the Anna dress bandwagon and blog about the version I made while testing the pattern for the girls at By Hand London.
Photos are all from our holiday, you have to admit they are rather nicer than my usual backdrops of ‘Rainy London Street’ and ‘Untidy Flat’.
The fabric is Liberty Tana lawn. Extravagant I know, but I went on a shopping trip to Shaukut with Rachel and Shivani, and I just couldn’t resist. If you’re going to buy Liberty print, that’s the place to do it. They have the biggest choice and the best prices. Also, if you’re buying Liberty print, I recommend taking the lovely Shivani with you. She knows EVERYTHING on the subject, I think they should hire her as an official fabric tour guide.
I’m not sure what this print is called or which collection it’s from, but it’s a semi-photographic neon pink jungle, with palm trees and tropical flowers all over. It’s gorgeous. And it’s a dream to sew with.
Here’s a better close-up of the print. Oh man, I am in love with it. I have enough left over to make a Scout tee too.
This pattern is my favourite BHL design yet. I went for the shorter length with the V-neck. Everything is beautifully well-drafted, with unusual details you don’t see that often in commercial sewing patterns, like the tucks in the bodice, the panelled A-line skirt, and the little kimono sleeves. Not that you can see any of that in this print, so I think another plain version is called for.
I used french seams on everything except the waistline, which I finished with some of this seam tape. I also interfaced the neck facing and the area around the invisible zip, as this fabric is quite thin.
I had to make some of my usual fitting changes, including bringing the shoulders forward and narrowing the back neck. I recommend making a muslin if you sometimes need to make a FBA. I had to do one for this dress, as the bodice and waist are very fitted (I sewed the 12). There’s a brilliant tutorial here from Lazy Stitching on how you can do a full bust adjustment on a pleated bodice, which works very well for this pattern.
Here’s the envelope with the line-drawing and measurements. The short version really doesn’t need much fabric.
It’s such a versatile pattern, I really recommend tracing it as you’ll be making lots. It would work for a slash neck 60s mini number in a retro print, or a long slinky maxi with the thigh-high slit like Karen’s version.