I am not a natural shorts-wearer. I feel a bit self-conscious in them unless the temperature is over 28 degrees, so basically they never see the light of day in the UK.
But I have a trip to Italy coming up and it’s going to be HOT (hooray), so I wanted a pair to take along.
As they’ll only get an outing once a year, I needed a quick and easy pattern. I went for this Burda one from the Februrary 2013 magazine, because there’s no welt pockets, no fly front, an invisible zip, and only two darts to sew.
They were definitely a speedy sewing project. This pair took me less than 2 and a half hours to sew, including cutting out, fiddling around changing the thread in my overlocker for 20 minutes, and unpicking an entire waistband.
This outfit also features a new top that I got at a clothes swapping party a couple of weeks ago, which was organised by VoucherCodes.co.uk.
I took Lizzy with me and we had a brilliant time, and I managed to break only one entire glass of wine all over the floor. The swap was very well organised and I came away with two really nice tops.
Here is an embarrassing visual record of our evening (sorry Lizzy)
Anyway the lovely Fleur who ran the event asked if I’d do a post showing how I styled the things I got, and I’d just finished making two pairs of shorts, so it seemed like a perfect pairing.
I am pretty rubbish at ‘styling’ things anyway, so hopefully my sewing skillz will distract you.
The top above is a green oversized t-shirt from Topshop – the front is viscose and the back and sleeves are jersey, which I think would be an awesome idea for a Scout tee. It’s the perfect summer t-shirt.
Voucher Codes also very nicely gave me 35 pounds to spend on accessories, so I bought these pleasingly massive 70s-style sunglasses and triangle necklace from Urban Oufitters.
The second top I swapped was this chiffon tunic thing from Dorothy Perkins, which caught my eye because of the lovely crochet embellishment on the front.
I’m wearing it with some pink shorts which were my first version of the Burda pattern, made from a fabric remnant I got from the big swap in May. It’s a lovely brushed cotton, but it does wrinkle a lot.
Here’s a better view of the two pairs. The blue ones are some kind of strange imitation linen/wool fabric in polyester from Dalston Mill Fabrics, which drapes really nicely.
I added little covered buttons to the blue one and actually did a blind hem (on the machine, I’m not insane), which seems a tad over the top for shorts but topstitching didn’t look right.
Here’s my notes on this pattern in case anyone who wants to make it:
- It runs true to size. For my second pair I actually sewed a size 14 as I wanted them to sit further down.
- They are very high waisted, and really nicely drafted so the back waist sits higher than the front.
- They’re forgiving to fit. The waistband is just a rectangle you cut yourself, and they taper out from there, so as long as you get your waist circumference right, you’ll be laughing.
- They only take 0.8 metres of fabric. You can make them from the smallest scrap of material ever. Cheap project!
So now I have at least two of my holiday outfits sorted. Huge thanks to Voucher Codes for organising the party!