Digital print dress from a vintage 60s pattern
So, I’ve never claimed to be the fastest seamstress in the world (or even in Stoke Newington). But 7 months from fabric to completion is probably some kind of record. Yes, I finally made something with the beautiful fabric given to me by Our Patterned Hand in, ahem, May.
And here it is:
I actually finished this more than a month ago, but I wanted to re-take the photos in some better light. However the chances of daylight, the dress, and my photographic assistant all coinciding any time in the 2 months are slim to non-existent, so these would have to do.
Thank you SO much to Our Patterned Hand for this amazing fabric. I dithered for months about what to make, and settled on this 1960s pattern I got in a job lot on Ebay years ago.
I love the hair and the Pat Butcher earrings on the envelope.
The only change I made was adding a bias strip along the high waist line. I put in an invisible zip without great success – I think that’s what’s caused this pulling on the back (although partly it’s just the way I’m slouching)
I’ve had it up to here with invisible zips. My special Bernina foot just grabs on to them and puckers the fabric. I’m taking this one out and putting in a lapped one, I think.
I just need somewhere to wear this now! It may well end up being my birthday dress in a couple of weeks.
Here’s a close-up of the awesomeness of the fabric.