70s style Jasmine blouse, from Colette Patterns
Here’s my second Jasmine blouse, from Colette Patterns.
The first one has already gone to the charity shop. I foolishly made it out of some extremely cheap floral polyester which had all the drape and charm of hessian. The combination of the puffed sleeves and the garish print made it look like an early 90s Country Casuals piece.
I did like the fit of the first version I made, but I wasn’t so keen on the use of a facing to finish the neckline. I’ve noticed that you hardly ever see facings on tops and dresses in RTW. I only have one dress that uses this method, and it’s a big pain to wear as as the facing constantly flips up.
So with this one, I finished the neckline with some bias binding – here is a good tutorial if you’d like to do the same.
I didn’t use the collar pieces from the pattern, as I wanted a longer bow that was easier to tie (inspired by this version from The Sewing Cafe). Instead I used a long bias strip, about 12cm wide, which was attached using the same method they give you in the pattern instructions. Here’s a close-up:
This gives you a lovely draping bow that doesn’t ripple on the edge. You might be able to tell that my tie ends aren’t both the same length – this was a deliberate creative decision (oh alright, I measured them wrong).
This is a lovely pattern, but the fit is a bit strange on me – I had to significantly take in the front and back centre seams at the top, which has resulted in some strange pulling in the shoulder area.
It’s such a nice style though, I think I’ll make a third version and try and figure out the issues. I’d like to try using the Colette collar pattern pieces in a contrast colour. But I’m going to ditch the facing permanently. Down with facings I say!